Currently, I’m following a free online course on European paintings offered by the Charles III University of Madrid. In a series of video lectures, paintings from 1400 to 1828 are being discussed by Alejandro Vergara.
Typically videos are about 7-9 minutes long and focus on a particular painter.
The development of painting from the early Renaissance to Romanticism is being discussed, providing the student with general knowledge of art historic events.
There will be four exams to test your knowledge.
Furthermore, every video lecture provides you with several quick questions.
I encourage you to follow this course, since it is easy accessible, free, entertaining and highly informative.
What you will learn
- Learn to identify paintings by the artists covered in the course, and recognize characteristics of art of this time period.
- Learn about the variety of ways in which a work of art can be interpreted.
- Acquire the tools to develop a critical spirit and a personal point of view with regards to the history of art.
- Become familiar with the language and concepts necessary to understand the history of art and to continue studying it in the future.
- Learn to use a knowledge of art history to make sense of life and your experience in the world.